Saturday, August 18, 2012

OOf-da Tacos

Crookston has been gearing up for the big Ox Cart Days celebration this week, which means that the OOf -da Taco Truck has been in town!

When we left Minneapolis almost a year ago I thought that I had seen the last of the food trucks, but to my surprise and delight they have popped up in the small towns where we've lived for the past year. But, the food truck experience in out-state Minnesota has been a little different than in downtown Minneapolis - food trucks in Minneapolis were often serving semi-gourmet street food while the trucks I've seen out in rural Minnesota have involved some pretty serious deep frying, but I think it's safe to say that the excitement of the food truck is the same whether it's serving up fancy puréed soups or mini donuts.

The food truck stalking Crookston this week has been the OOf-da Taco truck, which is well known to Crookston-ites and even Calhoun, who had eaten from the truck at various fairs here in the Red River Valley while he was growing up.


OOf-da Tacos are distinct because they essentially a standard American taco made on Native American Frybread. Topped with olives, sour cream, and mild taco sauce they called to Crookston-ites far and wide this week including us. It was fun to walk up to the window, order my container of OOf-da Taco and enjoy it on a picnic table while enjoying the sun of the afternoon.  The only downside is that after eating my whole taco I really wanted a nap! So much food, uff da!

I can't wait to experience the rest of the Ox Cart Day festivities!




No comments:

Post a Comment