Sunday, March 6, 2011

The Multistate Professional Responsibility Exam

I've been a little out of it this past week. It's taken a toll on my personal life, academics, job and the blog.

I've tried to write truthfully, while keeping this blog as an ode to Minnesota. But, as I find that my life as a student severely inhibits my ability to enjoy Minnesota I feel I must explain.

I am in my last year of law school. And although the common motto is that in law school, "The first year they scare you to death, the second year they work you to death and the third year they bore you to death" - I have not been bored yet this year.

Yesterday I took the Multistate Professional Responsibility Exam (MPRE). Yes yes, insert clever lawyer joke here, but there are ethics rules and we do have to know them to become a member of the Bar Association. As such, I spent the majority of the week bent over my rule book and study aids in preparation for the exam. In five weeks we'll know my fate - ethical or unethical lawyer? Only the MPRE can answer that one.

After surviving the exam Saturday, Calhoun and I had a great Sunday, settling back into the Minnesota groove.

We slept in and after a few great cups of coffee headed off for the day. Our first stop was The Baker's Wife. But, as we were parking we recognized a familiar familial vehicle and detoured to stop by The Angry Catfish to find Nokomis (Calhoun's brother) and Eveleth (the sister-in-law) having breakfast, chatting with friends and correcting papers. After inviting them over for dinner we finally made it to The Baker's Wife and were thrilled to find that they still had hame an cheese croissants!

The Cow from The Baker's Wife, dressed for winter.

We grabbed a croissants, along with their legendary donuts and drove down to Terrace Oaks Park to take Sogn for a little walk. Calhoun usually takes Sogn to the dog park just south of Minnehaha Falls but on the weekends the place is crowded with small dog owners who don't appreciate Sogn's enthusiastic, seventy-pounds of love for people. Calhoun had taken Sogn to Terrace Oaks Park for some skijoring earlier this week and wanted to explore more of the trails. We were relieved to find it nearly empty! We were able to let Sogn run off leash on the paths and he seemed to like exploring new territory. It was great to get some Vitamin D and have some time outside!

After making a stop at Tangletown Gardens to pick up some tulip buds we came home and cleaned. It's that time of the year when I'm actually looking forward to some spring cleaning, opening the windows and hoping the gentle breeze clears out some of the dirt and scum that this winter is leaving behind.

Finally, Nokomis and Eveleth arrived for dinner, bringing our day full circle. I sometimes marvel that we live in a part of town where we run into Calhoun's brother by accident...and then cook bacon wrapped meatloaf for dinner.

The week will be crazy again, but it was great to have a March day in the sun, with family and lots of good food.

1 comment:

  1. For what it's worth, you're ethical in MY book!!! Sounds like a fun day in Minnesota filled with good food :)

    ReplyDelete