Monday, January 3, 2011

"Risk"

Minnesotans are generally pretty nice, they say "hi" to you when you walk past them on the street, they help push you out of the snowbank and take their shoes off when they walk into your house.

Another cultural Minnesota phenomenon is the Minnesota Scandinavian. Minnesota Scandinavians are generally pretty quiet and polite. I am not Scandinavian, but I married one and I'm having a rough time adjusting to the family. I try to be on my best behavior when I'm with them, I try not to yell (too much), or interrupt or eat and talk at the exact same time. All of these things are very difficult for me. And, as time goes on, I feel more and more comfortable with them and forget to watch my actions as carefully as I should. Adding a board game, especially one like Risk, into the mix does not help me keep my behaviors properly in check.

Christmas this year was packed, Calhoun's parents hosted us at their place, his brother Nokomis and his wife, Eveleth, were also there. And it turns out, there are just enough pieces for six people to play Risk!

Now, I don't remember exactly what happened. I know that I did some yelling and at some point I think Calhoun asked me, "do you ever wonder if you invite conflict?" to which I responded, "YES!" But I do remember that I got a few looks suggesting that I should tone it down as Nokomis was sleeping in the corner, I also remember that I was the first one out. I lost to the sleeping man! But we had fun, and apparently I wasn't so bad because we played Risk again a few nights later with just Calhoun's parents.

Despite the ten daunting pages of directions it was a great game, not too complicated and I had a lot of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment